How do I use the Olyns Cube?
The Olyns Cube was designed to be a touchless, convenient experience for our users. To use Olyns and get your CA CRV deposits back through Paypal credit, you need to follow the following steps:
2. Create an account in the Olyns App. Be sure to complete the email verification step to activate your account.
3. Add the Olyns card to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay. Sign into the Olyns app and follow the instructions to add the Olyns card to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay. This is how we know who you are when you sign in to the Olyns Machine to recycle your containers, so we can credit you with your CA CRV deposit.
4. Sign in at the Olyns Cube before you deposit containers. When you go to the Olyns Cube to make deposits, swipe your phone to sign in (hold your phone by the NFC logo above the deposit opening). You may need to use FaceID, PIN, or Thumbprint ID on your phone to open the Olyns card. You do NOT need to be in the app to sign in. When you're signed in you'll see your name on the Olyns Machine in the small screen above the deposit opening.
5. Deposit your CA CRV compliant beverage containers into the Olyns Cube. You will see your account credited in the Olyns App.
6. Cash Out anytime. When you're ready to cash out, pick the "Cash Out" button in the Olyns app, and your total balance will be transferred to your Paypal account.
Watch the brief How To video here:
What happens to the cans and bottles I place into the Olyns Cube?
Olyns or one of our partners service the Olyns Cube when we see it is filling up. The Olyns Cube separates deposits by type and compresses them. We then take these materials directly to a processor where they will be reused in new products. Unlike "blue bin" recycling, Olyns keeps the materials segregated and clean so we are able to ensure an extremely high degree of reuse. With Olyns, you can rest assured that the containers you deposit will not end up in landfill or be incinerated.
How do you know if the machine is jammed or full?
The Olyns machine is in constant communication to the backend at Olyns so we can see how it is doing. However, please feel free to shoot us a note at email@example.com if you notice something amiss. We will shortly be releasing an app update that will show current machine status to increase convenience for our users.
How do I get paid out with Olyns?
In the Olyns App select "Cash Out" next to your account balance. Olyns will transfer your balance into your Paypal account (under the same email address you used when you signed up for Olyns). Check the email account you used to sign up for Olyns and you will see confirmation of the money transfer.
What if I don't have a Paypal account?
When you select "Cash Out", Paypal will prompt you with easy steps to set up a Paypal account. It takes less than a minute to set up, and only requires your email address. Funds are transferred within minutes of account set up. Note: Use the same email for Paypal as you used to set up your Olyns Account.
Are there more Olyns Cubes around?
Our first test machine is at the Milpitas Safeway at 555 Calaveras Blvd. We now have a second machine at Safeway Rivermark Plaza, at 3970 Rivermark Plaza in Santa Clara. If all goes to plan, many more will follow!
What materials do you accept?
Olyns machines accept CA CRV compliant materials. On Aluminum cans, look for the CA CRV text on the top of the can. For plastic and glass bottles, look for the CA CRV text on the label. You can also find a more complete description of CA CRV eligible containers on the CalRecycle website: https://www2.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publications/Download/1408 .
Is there a limit to how many containers I can deposit?
Currently, we accept 50 containers per day per account.